NATIONAL CHERRY FESTIVAL PARADE GUIDELINES
All entries are subject to approval by the National Cherry Festival.
The National Cherry Festival reserves the right to refuse any entry that is deemed not to be in the best interest of the National Cherry Festival Parades which are a family fun event.
Exception to any rule contained herein involves approval of the National Cherry Festival Director of Parades.
Such approval must occur prior to parade start, unless otherwise noted.
Violation of any rule contained herein may result in the immediate removal of a unit prior to or during the parade and render the unit ineligible to participate in future parades.
GENERAL PARADE RULES
- Entry applications must be entered online, postmarked by May 1st or faxed to (231) 947-7435 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org NO LATER THAN MAY 1. NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DATE!
- Entries in all parades must adhere to line-up times. This information will be in your final mailing.
- Entries sponsored by or depicting a political organization or controversial issue are not permitted. Only seated official representatives elected by the people are permitted in the parade and are by invitation only. No campaigning is allowed.
- All units are required to maintain a forward motion.
- NO CHASE VEHICLES ARE ALLOWED.
- Strict safety precautions must be observed by all entries. These include:
- Handouts (hand to hand contact) from units will be permitted for entertainment purposes only. All handouts MUST be approved by the Director of Parades prior to June 1. Items must be entertaining to the crowd – no solicitation, no noise makers, no political or election material allowed.
- Any activities encouraging spectators to shake hands or otherwise participate in the parade, thereby impacting parade time-lines and flow of parade, are not allowed.
- Any entry advertising a product or a company in the DTE Energy Cherry Royale Parade or the Touchstone Energy Junior Royale Parade is subject to a fee and shall be considered a commercial business entry.
- Consumers Energy Heritage Parade – Presented by Hagerty – $600
- Touchstone Energy Junior Royale Parade Fee – $600
- DTE Energy Foundation Cherry Royale Parade Fee – $600
- Floats will be judged during each parade, on the parade route. Main judging will occur during the parade and on the parade route. Driver must stay with vehicle at all times or leave cell phone number with the personnel at the Parade Check In on State Street and Garfield.
- No float may exceed 13.6 feet in height due to traffic lights and power lines on Front and Union Streets in addition floats may not exceed 21 feet in width. Please measure the total entry length, including the vehicle, tow bar, and float to ensure sufficient spacing for the staging area.
- To qualify as a float, the unit must be skirted and all objects on it must be completely decorated in floral sheeting or its equivalent, and must be in good taste for a family event.
- All units will be inspected for unapproved advertising, sponsor mentions, etc. All unauthorized advertising will be removed.
- Floats must be equipped with a Class ABC fire extinguisher. All units will be checked for this item at line-up time.
- Motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, or other motorized vehicles not licensed for road use are deemed unacceptable unless approved by the National Cherry Festival.
- Drivers of motorized vehicles licensed for road use must be at least 18 years old and hold a valid driver’s license. Please stay with vehicle at all times or leave your cell phone number with the personnel at the Parade Check In at State Street and Garfield.
- Motorized units must be equipped with a Class ABC fire extinguisher. All units will be checked for this item at line-up time.
ANIMAL UNIT RULES
- Each unit is required to have their own CLEAN UP CREW. Failure to provide a clean-up crew or equivalent will result in being removed from the parade.
- Parade dress for horse riders is desired.
- Acrobatic maneuvers must be approved by the National Cherry Festival. Failure to do so will result in removal from the parade.
- Animals must be controlled by means of a harness, halter, or leash, if not otherwise contained.
MARCHING UNIT RULES
- No maneuvers are allowed that slow the forward movement of the parade.
- Musical units, precision drill teams, and baton units must consist of at least 15 members unless approved by the National Cherry Festival.
- Marching units are defined as walking units only. Escort vehicles are not permitted unless approved by the Director of Parades prior to parade start.
SPECIAL UNIT RULES
- All rules and guidelines apply to special units.